Wednesday 15 February 2012

Bonus post. Or: post-blog wig-out.

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

I always completely freak out after I have done a long, serious, possibly contentious post. Why did I not do the cute thing about horses? Why must I bang on, and on, and on?

I think it is also because when I am arguing against something, it often falls into the negative: here is what I do not think, this is where I cannot concur. I like the positive. So, because I am overcome with angst, here is a very quick, impromptu list of what I do believe, rather than what I do not.

Credo:

I believe in the human heart.

I believe that most people are mostly good.

I believe that people are more the same than they are different.

I’m afraid, tired as it sounds, I do believe beauty comes from within, although I also like looking at lovely photographs of Audrey Hepburn.

I believe in kindness and understanding, although I do not always practice these as well as I should.

I believe in friendship.

I believe in saying sorry.

I believe in taking responsibility for one’s actions.

I believe in politeness.

I believe in the power of words.

I believe in hope.

I believe that one should try, as far as is possible, not to be dull.

I believe in the planting of trees.

I believe in the love of a good dog.

I believe in family, especially when it is messy and a bit ragged round the edges and not at all like The Waltons.

I believe in laughter.

I believe in courage.

I believe in charm, although people say it is a horrid manipulative construct. I think it makes the wheels go round just a little more smoothly.

I believe in government, and the social contract.

I believe in the importance of home.

I believe that perhaps the answer to the very big questions lie in the very small things. This is a new theory, and I’m still working on it.

I believe in reading.

I believe in science.

I believe in the mystery and beauty of the natural world, especially mountains and glacial valleys, for some reason.

I believe in learning.

I believe in cranking open your mind as far as it will go.

I believe in empathy, although I wish there were a better, less washy word for it.

I believe in the kindness of strangers.

I believe in eccentricity.

I believe in optimism, and silver linings.

I believe in stoicism.

And, very unexpectedly, I believe in this. Even though most of the time I don’t know what the hell I am doing.

The Pigeon says: I believe in biscuits:

15 Feb 20 15-02-2012 14-34-53

She also believes that if she puts on this special yearny face, she will damn well get biscuits. And she is right.

8 comments:

  1. You do write beautifully.I would elect you Prime Minister with that as a manifesto,
    Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth - how absolutely lovely you are. V much like your profile picture, by the way. :)

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid it's an accurate representation :)

      Delete
  2. I believe in the same things apart from trying not to be dull. I used to so perhaps it's an age thing? I reckon the Pigeon would add sticks and rabbits to her list.
    I love all your writing - serious, ranting, intellectual, domestic, humorous. Whatever I find on your blog, I know I'll enjoy it so thank you for all of it. And especially those bonus blogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - incredibly lovely thing to say; thank you.

      Delete
  3. "I believe that perhaps the answer to the very big questions lie in the very small things."

    I think you are on to something there. Also, your previous post was as equally appreciated as this one, so have no fear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come late to this post – sorry. I admire your list. It's personal, obviously, but there's a good deal there that is universal, or should be in a right world. Music would be a major item on my equivalent list. Music on its own, but especially music with words, where the sum can achieve heights which maybe neither can quite achieve alone. (I've just been listening to Dido's lament, which is perhaps what put me in the mood.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved both these posts (am being late to the party on reading them due to life events but they make me happy.

    I apologise for my lengthy parenthesis. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin