Friday 6 January 2017

365 Days of Shakespeare.


On I go, with my new play. It’s really quite an eccentric story, but perhaps I notice that more because I don’t know it. A lot of Shakespeare is very eccentric and I think that he must have had so much fun, throwing all the rules out of the window. He certainly followed his whims where they took him and maybe that was part of what made him great. One gets the sense that a lot of the time he really did not give a damn.

And then, just as I am laughing or raising an eyebrow or thinking what? what? he smashes me with pure beauty, like in this speech of Helena’s, which is so filled with lovely language that I read it three times.

Helena:
Poor lord! Is’t I
That chase thee from my country and expose
Those tender limbs of thine to the event
Of the none-sparing war? And is it I
That drive thee from the sportive court, where thou
Of smoky muskets? O you leaden messengers,
That ride upon the violent speed of fire,
Fly with false aim; move the still-peering air,
That sings with piercing; do not touch my lord.

Later, two tremendous lords appear, who are funny and interesting and unexpected.
This one has a fine turn for the frankly insulting -
Second Lord:
He’s a most notable coward, an infinite and
endless liar, an hourly promise-breaker, the owner
of no one good quality worthy your lordship’s
entertainment.

Well, that’s him told. I especially like the ‘hourly promise-breaker’. I know a couple of those.

And there is this line, which pleases me mightily, I’m not quite sure why. It has such a mordant and comical cadence -
First Lord:

Yes, yes, do let him fetch his drum, for the love of laughter.

The Second Lord then whacks me with something I absolutely do not understand -

Second Lord:
I must go look my twigs.

I have not the wildest idea what this could mean, but I absolutely love it. I am certainly going to go look my twigs at once.


The plot is getting rather Byzantine now, and I frown at the page as it twists and turns. I don’t really understand the motivation of half the characters but somehow that does not matter. I fulfil the first duty of the Dear Reader, and suspend my disbelief. I follow the beauty where it takes me.

5 comments:

  1. For the twigs alone, 2017 is looking up. Thank you for that phrase, haven't giggled so much for months! Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year, I decided to start memorizing the soliloquies of Hamlet (and some others), and one of my all time favorites is this:

    "Seems, madam? Nay, it is - I know not "seems". 'Tis not alone my inky cloak, good mother, nor customary suits of solemn black. Nor windy suspiration of forced breath, no, nor the fruitful river in the eye, the dejected haviour of the visage, together with all moods, forms, shapes of grief that can denote me truly.

    For I have that within which passeth show - these, but the trappings and the suits of woe."

    I love it so much that I have that last line tattooed on my left arm, in memory of the day my father died. Hamlet spoke these lines regarding the death of his father, and it just resonated with me so strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever


    ReplyDelete
  4. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS

    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called DR EMU, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of DR EMU, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Contact him via email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin