Friday 18 September 2015

In which I am not Doris Day. Or: incapable of any sense at all.

For various complicated reasons, I had to do another late pass at my manuscript today and the whole thing was so intense that I even missed the racing at Ayr. I was in such a tense, filthy mood that I even shouted at my beloved red mare this morning. She blinked at me as if to say: yeah, yeah, I really don’t give a stuff about agents and deadlines and publishers and careers, so get your shop in order. She is bloody flinty when she is not being a duchess. Actually, sometimes even when she is being a duchess.

I was ashamed of myself. I’ll make it up to her this evening with extra love and rubs and scratches and strokes and confessions of human frailty. She knows all about human frailty, and is quite good at making allowances for it. Which is very lucky.

Stanley the Dog, also resolutely not interested in my boring and minor travails, has taken himself into the next room and is barking at a bluebottle which had the temerity to buzz at him. This is not entirely helpful for my startle reflex, which is on high.

I think of what I wrote yesterday, and I think of the small, mundane, scratchy human stuff in which I am enmeshed today, and I think of bathos. I know that every day can’t be Doris Day, but really.

I hope I shall make some sense on Monday. I can’t guarantee it, but it would be nice.

 

Today’s pictures:

Are from last week:

18 Sept 4 5184x2180

18th Sept 1 3456x5184

18th Sept 2 5184x3456

18th Sept 6 2914x3056

4 comments:

  1. Hello Tania! I have been looking for a way to contact you but I can't seem to find an e-mail anywhere! I would like to say first that I LOVE your book. My cousin bought it for me as a present I have read it and re-read it so many times I lost count! Also I wanted to ask if there are any translations of the book into Spanish. I live in Costa Rica (we speak Spanish here) and I have tried to get some friends to read it but they just don't like reading in English. I have looked for a translated version but I can't seem to find one. If there are no Spanish translations then I was wondering if you would be interested in letting me translate it (I am a translator). I am aware that publishing houses deal with these kinds of topics, but I thought I'd ask you because you are the author. In case you are interested you can email me at muriletraduce@gmail.com and if you are not interested don't worry. I'll still love your book and try to get everyone to read it! PS. Your dog is ADORABLE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't offer excitement like previous commenter (you'd read well in Spanish, I know it!) but that Stanley image is just...as my teenager would say...'da bomb'. That means good. Hope you get some down time - get that startle reflex down a notch. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gill in the New Forest19 September 2015 at 16:44

    And I too just love Stanley's ears. Well done to him and to your splendid Duchess for making allowances for you. And I hope life is settling down for you now - a long warm bath with loud singing could help put that startle reflex back in its place. Its so good to have you back after your break. Gill

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin