Wednesday 11 November 2015

Sailing by.

Yesterday, my ship was sinking. We were taking on water, and no matter how hard I bailed, the poor battered old craft was wallowing in the heavy swell.

Today, we are sailing on again.

This is what I had forgotten. I have to take it day by day. One small step at a time, one foot in front of the other. If I look too far ahead, the great blank spaces overwhelm me.

The dear old Scottish weather helped. It has grown mild again and the sun has come out. It is not a dazzling sun, just a shy, gentle sort of light, exactly right. Stanley the Dog is dancing about, getting up to his tricks. The horses are calm and happy. My red mare gave me her finest canter this morning, so lovely and lilting and compose that my heart forgot its heaviness and lifted up to the sky. There, she seemed to be saying, that’s something for you. It was something indeed.

And so, the ship sails on.

11 Nov 1 4232x3314

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin