Monday 20 October 2014

Say the thing.

Someone just sent me one of the nicest emails I’ve ever had in my life.

A nine-year-old person uttered a fine, fine compliment. Her mother wrote it down and passed it on to me.

It was like being sprinkled with stardust.

Despite my best intentions, I spend quite a lot of time scolding myself. I must write faster and better; I must be more organised; I must make all those vital telephone calls that I never make. One day, says the dark voice in my head, you are going to have to tackle the cupboard of doom.

I know that this chastisement is stupid and pointless. A bit of stern galvanising talk is a good thing. One must crack on. But the random, low-level chuntering at perceived hopelessness is only lowering, and achieves nothing but gloom. It is the kind of thing that you would never say to another human, only to yourself. I know better, and yet on those damn voices chatter.

And there, out of a clear blue sky, came the kind voice of a child, and that voice silenced all those inner critics with one sentence.

The particularly lovely thing is that it was passed on. It did not have to be. They might have laughed together and kept it to themselves. But they did not.

I quite often write: say the thing. By this I mean: express the love, utter the encouragement, make the compliment. This sounds very obvious, but it is not always straightforward. For Britons in particular, it can be almost embarrassing. We are supposed to be phlegmatic and deprecating; we bring grumbly complaining to Olympic levels. Too much enthusiasm and appreciation may be seen as gushing and bogus. This is particularly true in this part of the world, where the character is as granite as the land from which it comes. The Scots of the north-east do understatement so sternly that it is often interpreted as rudeness by people who are not used to it.

Say the thing, say the thing, I chant to myself in delight.

Almost everyone is a little bashed and bruised; almost everyone has a private tape which runs on a loop, listing their shortcomings. If you tell them something lovely about themselves, you can shut off that damn tape, even if only for a moment. You can, for a moment, give them their best self back.

Say the thing.

 

Today’s pictures:

Have been trawling through the archive, trying to tidy it up. I take far too many pictures and do not delete the duds as I go. Naughty. As I made a slightly feeble attempt to wrangle the thing into some kind of coherence, I found these:

20 Oct 1

20 Oct 2

20 Oct 4

20 Oct 5

20 Oct 6

20 Oct 9

20 Oct 10

20 Oct 12

20 Oct 15

20 Oct 16

20 Oct 21

G35-001

G35-002

G44

G45

The funny thing is that the kind email had a pay it forward aspect. So galvanised was I by the sweetness, that as I waded through the archive, I put together a little album for the Beloved Cousin, of her family, from happy days in the summer. It’s a very small thing, but I think it will make her smile, and it was a way of passing on the joy.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you. And just for your information, that is an understatement worthy of your corner of the world. Thank you.

    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the trees, the lips, the ear.... Gorgeous! And yes, I completely agree re saying the thing. Hard to do without sounding gushy I think but I try to do it more these days. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite by coincidence, on the same theme, I came across this today
    http://www.ripplemaker.com/pebbles.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always repeat this mantra, "what goes without saying needs to be said".

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely! Especially that it was passed on.
    Gorgeous, gorgeous pics of your part of the world. Thank you for sharing :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for giving such a great information about horse
    Your pictures are really amazing
    I'm very crazy about horses
    keep doing well. And we are hore bits suppliers
    horse bits suppliers

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin