Thursday 20 December 2012

A very quick day

Today I brushed up and went to the HorseBack Christmas lunch. With great fanfare, I put on my special nipped-in scarlet vintage jacket, the one which I wore to see Frankel demolish a top class field in the Queen Anne. It only comes out for very, very special occasions. I have to say they did look slightly surprised to see me without my customary covering of mud. I have become so earthified that it was only after running errands yesterday to the post office, newsagent, flower shop and Co-op that I looked down to find I had a little clump of hay nesting in my scarf. The interesting thing is that no one in the village blinked an eye.

I felt slightly shy, going out to lunch. I do not do that many social occasions, and my skills are rusty. It was a blast. One pint of Guinness (for strength) and I was off. All subjects were covered. There was a lot of laughter. If I had not had to go and check the horses before the light went, I should still be there.

There are guests coming tonight, so I rushed home to make special salsa and some nice smoked mackerel paté , and get on with the second leg of the Christmas gravy. I had planned to fit in a few hundred words of book, but that plan was for the birds. I got lost in festive arrangements. Still, yesterday there were fifteen hundred words, so I don’t feel too guilty. Now I must arrange some flowers and get in logs for the fire. Stanley the Dog is having a little disco nap before the party.

It poured with rain all day, but there is winter wonderland in my heart.

 

No time for camera today, so here are a couple of pictures from the last few days:

20 Dec 1

20 Dec 2

20 Dec 3

20 Dec 5

20 Dec 6

20 Dec 6-001

20 Dec 10

4 comments:

  1. Love the idea of Stanley having a disco nap...such a gent, I am sure he will be firing on all cylinders as a result later! Lou x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DIE for the 'nipped in scarlet vintage jacket' - could we not have a look??
    Hope you and Stanley enjoy tonight's party.
    Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photo of the sheep in the field - so many shades of white. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fairly certain you have no idea how soothing and restorative a visit to this blog can be. You have banished my borderline Scrooge-like state and I, too, feel festive.

    I must say I've fallen hard for Stanley, with his dappled coat and the rakish asymmetry of his ears. He looks a pip, and I think we would get along famously.

    Happy Christmas to you there in Scotland, Tania. It is freezing even here in the southernmost part of the USA.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin