Wednesday 9 July 2014

One thing.

Sun shining; red mare worked; breakfast for lovely stepfather cooked; 1746 words of book written; HorseBack work done.

My mum is on the mend, which is a huge relief for all of us.

I have a new hard deadline, so am galloping through my days like a sprinter at full stretch. Today, the brain has gone snap since I fear I hit the front too soon, so there are no words for you.

I did have one thought, which I may be able to articulate. The news is very bad at the moment. The news is often bad, but it seems especially acute this week, one horror story is piling on another, particularly with what is going on between Israel and Palestine, and the terrifying revelations of the child abuse cover-up here. In their different ways, they are stories which leave an individual feeling a catastrophic combination of rage, sorrow and sheer helplessness. At times like this, it is easy to fall in the slough of despond, and believe that the puny human heart is no match for atrocity.

What does one do, in the face of that? I think, although I am not sure, that it is important to find one thing, however small, which contributes to the sum total of human happiness, and to do it. You can’t save the world, or stop the hatred, or fix the dark side of the psyche. But if everyone does one thing, then miracles may happen.

That is why I go to HorseBack. I do it for many reasons. Perhaps the most vivid is because I am so filled with admiration for the veterans I see there. They have waded out to the wilder shores, and have courage and grace that I shall never know. But since I have been volunteering, I realise that it is a largely selfish act. It is so that I do not collapse into a puddle of despair, every time I see the news.

Find your one true thing, and do it. It’s not much of an answer, but it’s the only one I have.

 

Today’s pictures:

Are a rather random selection from the archive:

9 July 1

9 July 2

9 July 3

9 July 4

9 July 6

9 July 7

This one is all blurry and out of focus, but I love it, because it is filled with happiness. It is my oldest brother and my mother, at her 80th birthday party:

9 July 10

Stan the Man does high nobility:

9 July 18

And hard-core DON’T MESS WITH THE STICK:

9 July 19

Sweet questing face:

9 July 20

Ha. I suddenly realise I have at last written a whole blog without banging on about the red mare. I should hang out more flags. *faints with disbelief*

3 comments:

  1. Then I'll mention the red mare for you. Love how neatly you have pulled her mane. ;-)

    Seriously, what a lovely post. Unless we are diplomats or popes or something, that little bit of good is all we can do. Helps to be reminded. Thanks.

    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't your mother a handsome woman? And what lovely hair she has, a very stylish lady. I do hope she is back home with you all mended, or at least only needing convalescence, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely picture of your mother and brother. Happy she is on the mend :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin