Friday 27 November 2009

There is absolutely no excuse for this at all

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

Having had a perfectly heavenly lunch with three properly experienced bloggers, I have been thinking about my own blogging credo. I take this thing oddly seriously. I think I have said to you before that I believe it is a profound contract: you give me your time, and I give you the most polished prose I can achieve.

And yet, and yet. There are moments when I feel entirely whimsical, when I think this is a space into which I can throw any damn thing and sod the consequences. So it seems that the notion of the blog is one great big fat paradox. And in this spirit, for the time being, I offer you...oh no, oh yes...another enchanting dog picture -



And for those of you out there who are cat people, I sincerely apologise.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree. I am very serious about my blog - to the point of it becoming an unhealthy obsession. That's why I'm sitting here writing this when I have a million and one other things to do! But it's good to have a bit of whimsy too - so, a combination of both is probably more entertaining, balanced and healthy!

    Please keep the dog photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blog by the following:

    Blogging is the space between War and Peace and Aunt Mabel's holiday snaps from Rhyl. Anyone who tells you that you are doing it wrong has fundamentally misunderstood the internet.

    (I like the dog pictures, and the words.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!!! I was spending an unhealthy amount of time on my blog. Combing through memories of growing up in the deep South, Mother's broken heart, my father's gentle recall of the English girl he had loved in wartime. There were haunted houses, singing from the direction of an old Indian burial mound, and a suicide.

    I thought people showing up at my blog address deserved more than my thoughts on what flavor of coffee to drink that day.

    So I started My Secretive Gardening, http://calann621.wordpress.com/ combining two obsessions. I would dash off a daily post spending no more than 30minutes. And AstonishMe would receive my attention once a week, twice maybe. The gardening blog I also would Adsense or nonsense or whatever it was people kept after me to do to earn 13 cents a month, if that, to be able to say I was still a professional writer.

    But I could not help myself. Right away I was analyzing the psychoanalyst friend without him knowing. Suggesting a neighbor was being a timid mother. THEN I wrote a tell-all about the end of my marriage. In a GARDENING blog!

    I am hopeless. I could pretend I just don't know the rules, am a slow learner, etc. But that would be a fib. I'm even a ferocious blog commenter. I know this comes as a shock.

    But I have joined Blogher and now envision a series of entries on mothering subjects, starting with the one that could end a very long friendship between two families. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin