Saturday 15 January 2011

Anticipation

Posted by Tania Kindersley.

image

(Kauto Star, photographed beautifully by Alan Crowhurst for Getty Images.)

It is a real dour old day here in the north of Scotland. Sometimes it is so flat and damp and dreich that even the glorious hills and trees retire into bland anonymity. I had to stare and stare to find any beauty at all.

Luckily, in the end, there was some. It seems there always is. I say luckily because all I can think about is the magnificent Kauto Star attempting to make racing history later this afternoon, so there are no coherent words for you. I need some photographs to compensate.

Kauto is a beautiful, brave horse, and in an hour or so he is going to try, at the age of 11, to win the King George VI steeplechase for the fifth time IN A ROW. This has never been done, ever. If he can do it, it will be an act of such pure class that every racing journalist in the land will run out of superlatives and have to send out for more.

I have knots in my stomach. In a fast, tough, long race, anything can happen. Even great horses fall. There can be pile-ups. Delicate tendons can break. Blood vessels can blow. The mightiest champion can be brought down by a loose horse.

This is a lovely, willing, genuine horse. He is the best we have seen in a generation. I want almost more than anything to see him win, but really, now, I just want him to come home safe.

Pictures of the day -

15th Jan 1

P1153815

P1153816

P1153817

P1153819

P1153822

P1153823

P1153824

I know this is out of focus and not a good photograph at all, but you know I can never resist an action shot, especially when it involves the ears going up in the air:

P1153829

 

P1153828

P1153830

P1153834

P1153836

P1153837

And the dear old hill, very sombre in the flat white light:

P1153812

And now I must go and stare and stare at the television. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and if you are interested, there is a lovely piece about Kauto Star here, by Chris Clark at The Guardian.

2 comments:

  1. Horses are such delicate and fragile creatures. I can no longer watch racing because the possibility of an injury's invariably leading to the death of a willing and courageous animal breaks my heart.

    On the other hand, their ladyships, bounding through the meadow, ears flying, would make anyone smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of these delicate and fragile creatures just trod on my foot! Delicate it was not... Thank you for another horsey post! I don't particularly follow racing, the quality is not so high here in the Czech Republic apart from my hometown's finest Velka Pardubicka; and globally, on the other hand, there are so many races, horses and jockeys to follow. I appreciate that through your posts I get alerts of worthwhile races and bold horses that I can check out online. You lose me at cricket, though :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments give me great delight, so please do leave one.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin